If you have followed my blog for a while, you know I’ve had lots of problems with my main chair and my back up chair pretty much since I launched my blog. Valuing my independence means I have a backup chair. Going out for a full day would be too tiring without a powerchair. In May my backup chair motors blew in spectacular fashion. It sounded like a gun shot. For the next 7 months, my patience was tried almost weekly. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I would have given up. I’m very glad I didn’t give up.
I’ve chronicled every step of repairs. I have more to share, now. The list of other providers I told y’all I had on my laptop, turned up nothing. Many of those companies listed had been forced to close because of the pandemic. Back to square one I did a Google search for repair shops that weren’t on my chair manufacture’s list within fifty miles of home. Finding one close to where I grew up, I took a deep breath, said a quick prayer, and called. The receptionist said she could schedule a diagnostic diagnosis appointment the next day. Imagine my shock at no run around or waiting period. I asked her for an appointment the next week, so it fit into my schedule better.
The next week my chair got a diagnosis: both motors needed replacing. A couple of days later they gave me a price. Happily, I told them to order the motors because the price was less than anticipated. The motors would take a couple of weeks to arrive. A few weeks later I found out my chair manufacturer sent the wrong motors, which meant more waiting. Week before last I got a message from the mechanic asking me to call him.
When I did, he told me the computer in my chair was broken which caused the busted motors. He said, they had a computer for my chair that another customer didn’t use, and they would give it to me without additional cost. Truly a Christmas miracle and on Tuesday my chair comes home. I will have to get used to driving it again but am so thrilled. As an added bonus, I’ll have another provider option the next time I need a new chair.