Creativity is essential for every writer, blogger, content creator, musical artist, or artist. I want to share with you all how I keep my creativity front and center. Writing two blog posts a week and creating seven videos a week for this blog’s Instagram requires my creativity is constantly flowing. To be honest, when I first began blogging, I was told I might run out of ideas to write about. I was asked what would happen if I did. My response was I will not run out of topics to write about. Hoping I was right the question lingered in the back of my mind, however. What if I do run out of topics to write about one day.
You cannot think you will, or you might I scolded myself. Remember your content is your life story and because it is you will never run out of ideas. What I told myself was true, but when I upped blog posts to twice a week and videos to six then seven days a week I knew the truth of my self pep talk was about to get a thorough test. In order to sustain such a large increase in content: I knew I needed to create an environment where I felt creative constantly. I share the changes I made to facilitate such an environment below in hopes that they might help my fellow bloggers, writers, and other creatives.
- Keep my phone on silent and in my pocket when I am writing blog posts/updating my lists of ideas/working on any other creative tasks for the blog except for videos for the blog’s Instagram. I must use my phone to create those daily
- Watch as little news as possible. I read multiple papers daily before and after work to make sure I stay informed but watching the news is not conducive to my creativity
- Limit my social media usage: No mindless scrolling. It is a difficult habit to change, but it has been so helpful. Mindless scrolling on social media is a determinate to my creativity not to mention my time and energy. I do check the blog’s social media pages, daily, but just twice a day, now instead of seemingly constantly
- Work with inspiration in the background daily. For me inspiration includes: my favorite music and movies. In addition, audiobooks have become a go-to for inspiration while working
- Make time to meditate and exercise daily because when I do my stress decreases and my creativity increases
- Limit mindless surfing of the Internet for the same reasons I limited my social media usage. In addition, limiting social media and Internet usage allows me to be more present when I am not working